Today I had to show a house in the neighborhood I grew up in.
It brought back so many memories. I had some time before my client arrived so I spent some time driving around the streets I walked as a child just looking around picturing the things I did way back then. And remembering all the things I got myself into.
The neighborhood has changed in so many ways.
The streets looked different. What I used to consider a long walk then...seemed like such a short distance now. I guess when your small everything seems bigger to you!
We moved out when I was 21 years old...and except for a handful of times, I havent been back. Ive been in the house I live in now for 27 years...(do the math..im old). Yet in my dreams, when I dream of "home" its always THAT house that I see - the one I grew up in.
When I was 5 years old, I was almost kidnapped. I wasnt far from the house...and my whole family was sitting outside on our porch eating cherries and watermelon on a hot summer night (we are SOOO Italian). I was out with my cousin catching lightning bugs. The whole thing happened really fast. And even at 5 years old I got an immediate sense of danger and I got goosebumps. That "feeling" probably saved my life. One more step in the wrong direction and that could have been it for me.
Today, I retraced my steps - and the whole incident came back to me. My heart started to race....just as it did that night.
Scary shit.
Im lucky.
Ive wondered about "that guy". What happened to him. Where he is. I know they arrested him ....but for how long? I have no clue. I always wondered if he got out...if he ever hurt another kid. Did some other F-ed up crap. It was 42 years ago....he must have been released at some point. I identified him. He saw me. There was no two-way mirror between us back then. It was just him - handcuffed to a stool and my father holding me while he sat there staring at us and the cop asking me if that "was him".
*shudder*
A lot of good memories - yes...but that is one memory Id like to erase.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a horrible memory--yuck. That feeling of terror would be difficult to ever forget. Are you doing real estate now?
ReplyDelete