I spent a good part of the morning in front of a roaring fire - burning cards and letters that my ex had saved over the course of our relationship.
I acquired these items last week because she had everything (including furniture, items her Mom gave her, pictures of her kids when they were babies right up thru HS, her own baby pics, her HS year books and other memories) packed away in a storage shed along with my grandmother's antique bedroom set.
She defaulted on the storage shed (to the tune of over $700) and was notified that if it wasnt paid in full that her shed would be auctioned off to the public.
She ignored those notifications.
I wanted my grandmother's bedroom set. I asked her to let me have access to the shed many times before she left here but she basically told me to "F" off on many occasions.
I guess she figured knowing what it meant to me that she would fix my ass making sure I wouldnt get it.
I went to the auction - and I got - AND the entire contents of the shed because you bid on EVERYTHING not just one item in it.
Im faced now with what to do with all this.
I feel bad for the memories of her kids, her parents, her own life that she left behind. I seem to have more sentiment about these things than she did otherwise it wouldnt have gotten to the point it did.
Im told that she has no legal claim to it anymore and that I shouldnt give a rats ass because SHE didnt nor did she care that I had things in there that I cared about as well.
Im working on seperating the emotional aspect of this.
I couldnt imagine some stranger having my grandmother's furniture.
I also couldnt imagine some stranger having access to all these items that were so personal....but I guess Im different.
So today, I burned everything that could possibly fall into the wrong hands.
The rest is still nagging at me.
Garage sale?
Ebay?
Garbage?
Find a way to get it back to her? Because I feel that would be the "right" thing to do. But its obvious that she didnt care so why should I care about the "right" thing.
Or just let it be.
I could have NEVER left all these things behind - thats just me.
Im still amazed and in shock that she could.
I know Im way too sensitive.
Anyway, the personal stuff is gone. And Im going to paint and distress the bedroom set for my sister (ugh, dont ask). Im just glad its staying in my family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad you got your grandmother's set back, I know how much that meant to you. And I'm sorry that you are left with more difficult decisions to make and more mess to deal with. I know you'll make the right choice even though i also know you'll question whatever choice you make. I'm here for you baby.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine that either! I would never part with photos of my children. I think she just wanted to hurt you. I would get rid of it and just move on from it. I would NOT try to return it since that would just give her an excuse to treat you like sh*t.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy you got the bedroom set back! Maybe you can pack the photos of the kids away, for a time down the road when they are older. I bet it would mean a lot to them.
ReplyDeleteI don't know. Maybe I am speaking from personal experience. I have very few photos of me as a child. I'm talking less than 6 before the age of 15. If someone were to give me that gift, I would be elated. Should the kids have to pay for having a Mama that didn't give a shit?
Just a thought. I hope peace accompanies what ever you decide.
xoxo
~vk~
you are such a good person. if you can hold onto some of the kids things do so. they may want some of that stuff later.
ReplyDeleteglad you have the bedroom suit back...have fun redoing that :)
great post title!