Monday, April 2, 2012

No Winners

There are never any winners in court when it comes to family.

I got a call from my lawyer today. Apparently my sister's legal aid lawyer called him and waved the white flag.

She really doesnt have a case. She has no legal right to this house. She has no legal right to stay here. She has nothing that she can even stand before a judge with and claim WHY she should be allowed to stay.

All her lawyer asked for was how much more time they could have.

April 30th.

Then she is out.

The paper work is being filed.

Our 2nd court date of April 23rd is now cancelled.

I should be happy. When my lawyer called me he said "congratulations....you won - this is exactly what you wanted".

That couldnt be further from the truth.

What I wanted was a sister. A "Hallmark Sister"! Someone who is supposed to be closer to me than anyone in the whole world. Someone who I could confide in, someone I could rely on, someone who would be there for me, someone to comfort me, someone who shares a bond that only sisters could know.

But I NEVER had that.....

What I have is a nightmare. Someone so foreign to me, someone who is exactly what I would never want to be, someone who has shocked me in her behavior, her actions, her attitude and her disrespect to all those closest to her. Someone who's sense of entitlement is just baffling to me. Someone so disgraceful. And someone who has now burned every bridge in this family.

Id like to say its all because of drugs. But truthfully - I cant - she was like this long before she ever started whatever her drug of choice is.

So there are no winners.

She will leave here thinking "we suck" - "we did this" - and we are "conspiring against her" and that she "did nothing wrong" and she is "being kicked out for no reason".

I see it as a family torn in half.

Its so easy for everyone who knows whats going on to just tell me to "cut her loose -- she is no good".

Im not sure its going to be so easy for me to do that. But I guess Im going to have to learn how to not jump anymore when it comes to her. Ive been doing it for a long time.

I cant anymore.

She will be here until April 30th.....then she really is on her own.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad, but I know it isn't easy or uncomplicated. Family relationships never are. People who pretend otherwise are NUTS. I'm sorry that she wasn't a sister or even a family member to you. I grieve for you that it had to get so ugly. But I'm relieved that she'll be gone and that you can try to move on. Courage! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is not easy for you. We all want things with family to be "right", but sometimes we just have to accept what "is", even when it isn't ideal. I am proud of you for putting your foot down and protecting your parents. hugs, girl.

    ReplyDelete