Wednesday, September 24, 2025
Real Estate
I spent about 20 years of my working life in the medical field. It was pretty stressful in a lot of ways and at the same time very rewarding. I miss my patients and helping people - but I dont miss the hours, the sickness, the blood, the guts, the germs, the practice managers or the "business" end of medicine.
When I made the decision to leave medical I had no idea what direction to go. Starting over later in life - bills still coming in - not wanting to go back to school or the tuition that comes with it left me with an uneasy feeling of what the hell do I do now? Also, I needed something with a schedule that would allow enough free time to take care of my parents that were always such a huge part of my life. Their medical issues were getting worse and they needed more and more care. Leaving them alone during the day was no longer an option.
I knew a real estate agent very well. We talked. It seemed pretty easy! (HA!) But I figured I could do this! And I went to school, got my license with no problem at all....and here I am - 15 years later - A Realtor. I love it. My schedule. My time. My work ethic. My decision of how much or little I choose to work. My business!
However, I never considered the danger we put ourselves in almost every day. Or the stress that being a realtor comes with! I thought I saw it all in the medical field! But boy oh boy real estate is a completely different ball game! Ive seen things and heard things that have made my head spin.
Earlier in life we are taught never talk to strangers. Dont get in a car with anyone you dont know. Always leave contact information of where you are going and who you are with. And certainly NEVER go into an empty house with anyone. Yeah....real estate is all of those things. There are some pretty shady people out there. And you know how they say "you never know what goes on behind closed doors?" Well, we walk through those closed doors every day! Sometimes its not pretty!
Yesterday I got a call from a 65 year old woman who wanted to see a rental. She said she was calling me from the social security office and wanted to meet me afterward to see the home. Then she proceeded to tell me that she was just released from prison.....I was glad we were on the phone because my blank stare said it all! I made the appointment to meet with her. No questions asked (which I probably SHOULD have asked questions becuase in reality I HAD SO MANY!). So a 65 year old woman - just released from jail. What the hell could she have done? Was it murder? Drugs? Or just unresolved parking tickets? Ill never know. She never showed for the appointment! I might have dodged a bullet on this one...who knows!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You should write a book, Laur! Some jobs are full of unpredictability and "interesting" people. I imagine that real estate is way up there in those two categories. My brother and I just got a thank you note and two $100 restaurant gift certificates from our realtor. Mom and Dad's house sold in 3 days which I'm sure was a relief to him. :)
ReplyDelete